What do Email Validation
In a nutshell, email validation is when a firm simply tells you if your email address is valid or invalid. On the other hand, email verification services provide various levels of scans in addition to basic validation such as the following:
- Valid (Safe to Send) – Email address with no known reason to expect a delivery failure or harm to email senders online reputation.
- Invalid – Defined as the inability to actually deliver an email message to intended recipient's receiving domain.
- Catch-all's – These emails are often referred to as “accept all’s”. It is impossible to determine the validity of this particular address due to a domain-wide setting. These types of addresses are most commonly utilized in small companies to make sure they receive all mail that is sent to them.
- Unknown – After evaluation, it is impossible to definitively determine this email's status as the domain and/or server is not responding to requests.
- Role Account – email addresses such as "admin@, help@, sales@" that are not associated with a particular person, but rather a company, department, or group. These addresses are not intended for personal use as they typically include a distribution list of multiple recipients.
- Disposable Account - Temporary or fake accounts that are often used during a sign up process to avoid using a valid personal account and established to be least likely to be responsive or engage.
What is Email Hygiene
Just as email validation and verification confirm that your list is comprised of valid addresses
, email hygiene goes one step further eradicating all threats from your list, ensuring only safe addresses remain
. This imperative process results in a pristine sender reputation and the protection of your network resources while maximizing delivery of your emails. For each address submitted, Impressionwise
cleanses return a status in one of the categories displayed below, understanding the nature of recipients not just the fact that it is deliverable.
- Trap – Purpose-built, Spam-trap, or Honeypot e-mail address, any email messages sent to this address are immediately considered unsolicited leading to its submission to one or more DNSBL sites.
- Mole – Collaborating recipient submission-based or domain-level anti-spam solution with historical evidence firmly establishing a relationship to one or more DNSBL sites.
- Seed – Third party oversight email address used for general monitoring of company's network resources. Removal of litigators and collaborative anti-spam activists historically known to purposely seed their email address(es) for the purpose of litigation.
- Parked Site – This site intelligence gives you the leverage of avoiding sending email traffic to millions of unused and parked website domains. Since parked domains have previously not been configured for email by the owner, any recipient is by definition, invalid and being spammed as they receive email in the form of a catch-all/role account.
- Dormant Account – TLD (AOL, Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail) account with no login activity for an extended period of time with any messages to the recipient account being defined by the provider as "inactive" and turned into a form of unknowing collaborator. The message sender information is used to determine if mail from that sender will be delivered to other valid recipient inboxes or not with no non-delivery report indicating "no such user" or "mailbox not found" being sent as a response.
As an email marketer, you probably spend a good bit of time making appealing looking emails that are intended to bring in lots of customers. That being said, if your email never even makes it to the inbox, all of your efforts amount to nothing more than a colossal waste of time
. The key to a successful email campaign is deliverability
. Maintaining a pristine sender reputation is crucial to maximizing your deliverability
efforts and enhancing your brand reputation. If you throw caution to the wind and opt to send email campaigns from a domain or IP with a bad reputation, more often than not, those emails are bound for the spam folder – which in turn can place a permanent negative shadow over your entire ongoing email marketing and delivery efforts. Because of this, establishing and maintaining a positive sender reputation should be an important goal for you.
Maintaining a clean, targeted email list is imperative for a business and can be an extremely valuable tool to have tucked away in its arsenal. Because the email industry
is constantly evolving, it is critical to continuously monitor and update the hygiene of your lists to ensure the long-term success of your campaign outreaches, deliverability, and sender reputation.
On that note, selecting a reputable all in one service is just as important. Utilizing an all in one service such as Impressionwise
is a much more convenient and cost effective way to maintain your list. There are many firms out there that claim to do proper hygiene but more often than not, are actually performing simple black list comparison, which consists of your data being compared against a list of trap addresses. It is a fundamentally flawed approach to the removal of traps. These lists are relatively static and are only as good as the day the data was gathered. The data used is compiled from unknown or unqualified third party sources – someone else's opinion – and their data is often dated and flawed.
Impressionwise's on-demand scanning is a new innovative approach in which your data records are scanned against a global view of real-time feedback at the time of the actual cleansing, utilizing no data from aged repositories (such as used by simple black list-based method to scrub against and repost). This type of cleansing model is based on self-learning rule sets designed to catch newly created traps or existing trap configuration changes as they happen. This process ensures a more effective cleansing with minimal to no false positives, and in addition to gaining an unprecedented view and insight, reveals hidden aspects of your data not normally found with traditional scrubbing. All of this results in rich, comprehensive reporting of a highly deliverable address list.
Ultimately, It's All About Your Reputation and Deliverability
The key reason you need to be using a combination service is to eradicate threats. Eliminating threats
ensures your deliverability as your delivery is hinged upon your reputation. If you send out one bad campaign, it in turn can hurt the next. You can get rid of hard bounces with traditional validation/verification companies all day long. But at the end of the day, if you are not ensuring your email lists are free of spam traps and other email based threats, your sender and brand reputation are at stake. Regularly cleansing your lists will help you avoid costly mistakes and is paramount to maintaing consistent, highly engaged email campaigns.